Skip to main content

Drops in the ocean

They warned us not to make promises we couldn't keep, and I was very careful with my wording. Still, as I tried to coax Tony* to go get a late pass from room 160, I worried about how he was interpreting what I was saying.

"Hey Tony, how's it going? How come you're not in class?"
"I'll tell you the truth. I was on my way to class, but my jacket got stuck in my locker, so I was late, and the teacher wouldn't let me in without a late pass."
"That sucks. So you're on your way to 160 to get a late pass?"
He hesitated.
"No, I don't want to get suspended"
"Why would you get suspended for being late?"
"Well... I wasn't in my other classes today..."
"Okay... but you're still getting marked absent right now... so you can still get suspended, and you're making it worse by not going to class."
He shrugged. My logic, which seemed pretty flawless to me, didn't phase him.
"I don't want another suspension. Then I'll be absent even more."
His logic was also pretty sound.
"How about I go to 160 with you, and we can try talking to the administrator? I want us to try to resolve this, because you can't keep avoiding the situation."
He seemed doubtful. I was doubtful. I had no idea what would happen when we walked in that door. I didn't know how much influence I had, or what Tony's situation was. I worried about what would happen if I made him go to 160, and then he got suspended.
I started nudging him in the direction of the room.

The administrator greeted us, and I explained why I was accompanying Tony. For the next 35 minutes, the three of us talked. The administrator pulled up Tony's data, showing large blocks of red for the classes he'd skipped. I pointed out the patch of white, standing out in the sea of red, the few days in a row when Tony managed to make it to all of his classes. We talked about what was going on at home. His mom and step-dad living with his grandmother while they search for housing, while he stayed with his 21 year-old brother and his girlfriend.

"Who wakes you up for school?"
"No one"
"Does anyone make you breakfast?"
"No"

The administrator sighed. "It's hard to be successful in school without a lot of encouragement at home."

Tony nodded.

We talked about the benefits of graduating from high school, and what that entails. We showed him that it wasn't too late, but that he needs to start working harder and coming to class. The administrator pulled up a graph showing median earnings by education level. Tony began to show some interest. He asked questions, was more engaged than I'd ever seen him.

The administrator asked a lot of questions about why Tony was skipping, where he was going, etc. He didn't get any answers. I decided to try and shift the conversation, from past to future.

"Let's put aside whatever happened today. How about tomorrow? If you don't get suspended, will you make it to all of your classes tomorrow?" I held my breath. I didn't have the authority to make an offer like that, but I figured if I said it out loud, in front of Tony, the administrator wouldn't want to take that back. I was right.

"That sounds like a sweet deal she's offering. I'm willing to hold back on suspending you, and give you a chance to do better. Will you come to all of your classes tomorrow?"

Tony nodded.
The three of us smiled.

The administrator thanked me for coming, I thanked him for being flexible and taking the time to talk to Tony. He talked about how it's unfortunate that most of the time when students come down there, it's too busy to talk to them, they just get served with their papers and sent back to class. No one tries to understand what's happening in the students' lives, what's preventing them from going to class.

So many students get suspended. Every day, in every class, there are 2-3 students missing because they are suspended. They get suspended for missing class or being late too many times. There's not much I can do, but I took a chance today, and prevented what would have most likely been a three-day suspension.

Every day, in almost everything I do, I feel ineffective. There is so much I can't change, so many ways everything is messed up, and so little I can do. Everything I do feels like a drop in the ocean, and the ocean just gets bigger and bigger. Once in a while, I get to do something like this, and feel like I'm doing something, but that feeling is fleeting. It disappears under the mountain of failures. All I can do is try to hold on to these moments for as long as I can.



*Name changed to protect student's privacy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

One hand in my pocket*

Usually, when someone is sad, we ask them what's wrong. It's natural, I guess, when we assume the default is happiness, to wonder what's got people feeling down. But as interesting as that is, personally I find it much more interesting to explore the reasons behind my good moods. Not necessarily because my default is sad, but because if I can figure out what makes me happy, I can know where to focus my energy. Today is a puzzle to me though. I've been smiling all day. I'm not high or anything like that. I feel grounded, at peace, content, and happy. And I have no idea why. My math class this morning was difficult to understand, but instead of becoming frustrated, I appreciated the challenge, and the opportunity to learn.  My social psychology class had a guest lecturer who talked about the Milgram experiments on obedience. Not exactly uplifting stuff. And the lecture was kind of dry. Still, I enjoyed every moment. It's so interesting. What makes some peopl

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m