Skip to main content

What is reality?

What is reality? This is a question I have been asking myself a lot lately. I’ve had a number of disagreements with people, both personal and political, that have caused me to question my reality in a way I haven’t truly done since learning about Descartes’ skepticism in my freshman year. I see things a certain way, and with a certain degree of confidence (not 100%, but definitely over 90), and the people I talk to see the same situation as completely different, and are just as sure.
So what do we do when two people reasonably disagree about something? The most obvious answer would be: we can look at the evidence. The problem with that, is that “evidence” doesn’t exist independently of its observers, and it’s highly subjective to interpretation. Logical arguments aren’t likely to reveal the truth about reality either, as they must be based off of premises, whose truth must still be determined. Perhaps an appeal to authority? Which one? Maybe popular opinion should win out. Should it? Why? And who gets to pose the question, and how do we decide how to interpret the popular opinion?
I think, maybe, skepticism has gone too far. It saddens me to say that, as one of the values I cherish most is critical thinking. But perhaps the more critical thinking is that which involves rational, selective skepticism – not questioning everything, only specific things that seem to be more questionable than others. Still, how do we know what’s worth questioning?
Imagine being in a relationship with someone, and feeling like they aren’t putting as much into it as you are. You approach them with your concern, only to hear that they feel that your expectations of the relationship are too high.
Who’s right in this case? Assuming you both love each other and want to be together, most people would probably say that both of you are right, and both of you are wrong. They would suggest that instead of focusing on who’s right, you each try to change in the way your partner is asking. You can try to expect less, and they can try to do more. But isn’t there a fact of the matter about who’s right? Maybe it doesn’t matter, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist? It’s possible that you’re both right, but also possible that one of you is being completely unreasonable and just trying to get away with not having to put any work into the relationship.
What if we applied the same logic to social and political issues?
For example, you might think people talking about racism and feminism and demanding trigger warnings and specific pronouns are just “attention-seeking snowflakes” that need to stop complaining all the time. Meanwhile, they might see you as racist, sexist, privileged, and maybe just simply mean.
Is there a reality here? Does it matter? We might be unwilling to compromise, because it does matter. We care about which one of us is  right. Why? I don’t know.
Or, maybe, we just don’t know what a compromise would look like. Maybe we really want to find a middle ground, but don’t know where to begin to search for it. Another, slightly less optimistic possibility is that people on different sides of social and political issues don’t really care about one another, and so they have much less motivation to try to work together. After all, if you didn’t love your partner, would you really want to stick around to try to work out a solution? Probably not. But unlike relationships, people can’t just “break up” from those with whom they disagree. We’re all stuck in this together.
Or are we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

One hand in my pocket*

Usually, when someone is sad, we ask them what's wrong. It's natural, I guess, when we assume the default is happiness, to wonder what's got people feeling down. But as interesting as that is, personally I find it much more interesting to explore the reasons behind my good moods. Not necessarily because my default is sad, but because if I can figure out what makes me happy, I can know where to focus my energy. Today is a puzzle to me though. I've been smiling all day. I'm not high or anything like that. I feel grounded, at peace, content, and happy. And I have no idea why. My math class this morning was difficult to understand, but instead of becoming frustrated, I appreciated the challenge, and the opportunity to learn.  My social psychology class had a guest lecturer who talked about the Milgram experiments on obedience. Not exactly uplifting stuff. And the lecture was kind of dry. Still, I enjoyed every moment. It's so interesting. What makes some peopl

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m