Skip to main content

Happiness part 2.

Ten days ago, on March 27th, I wrote the previous post, talking about how I was happy. I expected to wake up the next morning and have everything be back to normal. I didn't think I'd be sad or anything, but definitely not happy. I was wrong. I was happy the next day, and the day after, and just about every day until yesterday. It was a good kind of happy; I just saw everything in a positive light. It's been rainy almost every day. When it rained, I listened to music and walked in puddles, lifting my face to the sky, thinking "let it rain - it can't stop me." Or something like that. Maybe slightly less cheesy-sounding. Last Saturday was an exception - it was very warm and sunny, and I went to the terrace and sat by the lake, studying and every now and then looking out at the water, just enjoying everything about my surroundings. Every day, I was surprised by my happiness, and wondered how long it would last, but didn't worry about it too much.

So what happened yesterday? I'm not sure exactly, though I have some idea. I'm not keen on sharing all of the details - ask me if you're curious - but it almost doesn't matter. What matters is what I did with my loss of happiness. I went home at the end of the day, feeling sad and lonely. I told myself it's ok to feel that way. It's completely understandable, and it will likely feel better soon. I opened the book I'm reading (Just Mercy - it's really good!) and read for a while before going to sleep. I could have spent a lot of time worrying about how I feel, and trying to get comfort from people who don't necessarily want to give it to me, but I decided to try to deal with it instead. To experience the sadness, but not let it consume me.

When I woke up this morning, I felt only slightly better. But I didn't let that stop me. I pushed forward and did what I had to do, all the while feeling pretty mediocre. Every once in a while I checked in with myself to see if I was ready to feel happy again. And a few hours ago, I suddenly was. I decided to put myself in a good mood, and it worked. I listened to some happy songs, completed a couple of assignments, and just felt good again.

Yesterday at Socratic Society, we talked about emotions. This is a topic that comes up a lot, but I'm starting to have a slightly different perspective. I used to think they were useful but I never felt I had any control over them. Emotions are there to tell us what we want - it just didn't occur to me that I could decide to change what I wanted. And now I'm getting some practice doing that. I don't want to feel sad about factors over which I have no control. So instead, I'm not. I'm happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

Drops in the ocean

They warned us not to make promises we couldn't keep, and I was very careful with my wording. Still, as I tried to coax Tony* to go get a late pass from room 160, I worried about how he was interpreting what I was saying. "Hey Tony, how's it going? How come you're not in class?" "I'll tell you the truth. I was on my way to class, but my jacket got stuck in my locker, so I was late, and the teacher wouldn't let me in without a late pass." "That sucks. So you're on your way to 160 to get a late pass?" He hesitated. "No, I don't want to get suspended" "Why would you get suspended for being late?" "Well... I wasn't in my other classes today..." "Okay... but you're still getting marked absent right now... so you can still get suspended, and you're making it worse by not going to class." He shrugged. My logic, which seemed pretty flawless to me, didn't phase him. "

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m