Skip to main content

Shared experiences

Content warning: the following post contains details of sexual assault, and can be upsetting. If you feel like it will upset you, please don't feel compelled to read it.

These stories happened to me, but they aren't my stories. They belong to all of us.

When I was 12 I decided I no longer wanted to be religious. It became increasingly clear to me that religion was just something people made up, and I had stopped playing with imaginary friends when I was eight or nine. It also seemed, at the time, as though non-religious people had more fun in life. They got to eat what they wanted, when they wanted, without having to worry about whether god would approve. They got to go places on the weekend. They got to wear whatever they wanted. It seemed like the secular life was free from a lot of the anxiety that accompanied religion. (I was wrong about a lot of that, and it now seems like people of faith have it a bit easier in life, but that's not really what this blog post is about.)

I started to dress differently. I attempted to imitate what I saw the girls and women around me wearing. In the early 2000s, this was mostly tight, low jeans, and off-the-shoulder tops. I don't have any pictures from that time (it was before smartphones, and nobody just took pictures of daily life), so hopefully you have some idea of what that looks like. Because what I was wearing was so important. To my siblings, my neighbors, the police, the lawyers, the judge...

As most people reading this probably know, I wasn't in school at the time. I didn't start going to school until I was 15. When I was younger, I spent my time reading, playing with the various animals my brother kept as pets, and exploring. But as I started to go through puberty, I sought more social interaction, and realized that I didn't have to work too hard to get people to like me and want to hang out with me. If I let the boys kiss me and touch me, they were happy to welcome me into their group.

Grisha wasn't a boy though. He was a 60 year old man. He had children and grandchildren. And I wasn't interested in his friendship. He worked at the grocery store where I had a part time job. It was mostly to have something to do because I wasn't in school. I was tired one morning, and so I sat down behind the cash register. There weren't any customers. Grisha knelt beside me and started stroking me. He touched my breasts and inner thigh. I kicked him in the balls and ran away. Later I told my mom, who forcefully encouraged me to report it. I did the whole thing. It's like in the movies, but worse. They questioned me again and again and again. They wanted to know who I hung out with, what I was wearing, had I ever said anything to lead him on? Was I flirtatious? Why did I hang out with older men? What was I trying to do? The investigations lasted years. Looking back, I don't think it was worth it. I'm not sure why they thought it was worth the time and effort. So many girls and women get touched like that. If they were to prosecute even a small fraction of the cases, there would be too many for the courts to handle. Maybe that's why it took years. They convicted him when I was 21, and he fled the country.

When I was 13 I was in the habit of staying up all night hanging out with friends. I was still unschooled at the time, so there was no reason to be awake during the day. One time I hung out with a friend in downtown Jerusalem all night. His name is Elazar. I don't remember what we did, but I think it was mostly just sitting in a coffee shop, talking. Buses stopped running between midnight and 6 am, and even the late-night coffee shops closed. We wandered through the city and ended up walking through a dark alley. How cliche. He pinned me against the wall and told me that he knows exactly what I want, and I'm about to get it. I protested that I didn't want anything, and he grabbed my hand and placed it on his erection. "This. This is what you want." I struggled, and managed to push him away. We took the same bus home. Then he told me he doesn't want to be my friend anymore, because of what I made him do. And I begged him for forgiveness.

His name was Arkadi. He was 15. It was the middle of the afternoon, and I had run away from home and was going to stay in the abandoned bomb shelter he and his friends had turned into a hangout spot. He gave me some vodka. I was 13. He started kissing me and then he pulled down my pants. He was really cute. I definitely had a crush on him and wanted him to like me. But I wasn't ready for sex. This isn't how I wanted it. But if I told him that, would he stop liking me? I was getting dizzy from the vodka. He was starting to force his way into me. I told him to stop, and pushed him off of me.

My first boyfriend's name was David. He was also my neighbor, and I had been in love with him since I was 7. When I was 12, he passed me a note asking me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes. When we hung out at his place, his older brother, Micha, sometimes came into their shared room where we were sitting, and refused to leave unless I gave him a hand job, or let him touch me, or whatever he was in the mood for at the time. David would turn to me, shrug, and say I might as well do it so he'd leave us alone. So I did.

The stories all kind of blend together. The details may or may not be true. I used to think often about these events, and the many others that I haven't written about. I haven't thought about them in a while though. Every now and then someone says something, and I'll remember a snippet. It doesn't seem to be a part of my life. Shit happens.

I used to think my experiences were unique. I was told by everyone around me that it was because of the way I dressed. Or the way I played with my hair. They told me I was flirting, leading people on. I used to think there was something wrong with me. Something that would explain why I was so often the target. But then, as I grew older, I realized that these stories are very common. They are a part of our culture. A rite of passage, almost. Some stories are worse than others. I haven't written about being catcalled or any of that. I haven't written about my experiences on dating apps or bars and clubs. There are so many stories.

Personally, I feel numb to it all sometimes. And helpless. People talk about raising awareness. There are hashtags and initiatives to try and change things. But sometimes it feels like nothing will change. I don't think sharing these stories will change anything. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to accomplish by writing about them. I've been told be a couple of people that it's eye-opening to hear about what many girls and women have to go through. I hope reading this has at least made you pause and think about what you can do. We can't change the world, but we can call out behaviors that are harmful, and be supportive of those who are harmed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

One hand in my pocket*

Usually, when someone is sad, we ask them what's wrong. It's natural, I guess, when we assume the default is happiness, to wonder what's got people feeling down. But as interesting as that is, personally I find it much more interesting to explore the reasons behind my good moods. Not necessarily because my default is sad, but because if I can figure out what makes me happy, I can know where to focus my energy. Today is a puzzle to me though. I've been smiling all day. I'm not high or anything like that. I feel grounded, at peace, content, and happy. And I have no idea why. My math class this morning was difficult to understand, but instead of becoming frustrated, I appreciated the challenge, and the opportunity to learn.  My social psychology class had a guest lecturer who talked about the Milgram experiments on obedience. Not exactly uplifting stuff. And the lecture was kind of dry. Still, I enjoyed every moment. It's so interesting. What makes some peopl

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m