Skip to main content

Artifacts (part 1 out of many, I hope)

(The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations)

I don't often attach significance to objects. If I'm asked to share an object that means a lot to me, I usually struggle to come up with something, and end up bringing in a book. Books are great, but it's the words in them that I really care about. The same goes for all of the letters I've saved over the years. They mean a lot to me, but it's the words and messages they convey, rather than the pieces of paper, that I value. But over the past few weeks I've accumulated a number of artifacts from students, and these objects mean so much to me. I worry that over time I'll become cynical of them and what they meant at the time I got them. Perhaps negative interactions with the students will taint my memory of how great it was to receive them. Or maybe I'll just be sad, and let my sadness convince me that I wasn't actually happy about these simple things. Hopefully writing about them will convince my future self that this feeling is real.


I came back to my laptop after my first couple of class periods to find this note and drawing covering my screen. It took me longer than it should have to figure out who drew out. She is a student who hangs out in the City Year room a lot. She doesn't say much, and I always worry that we aren't doing enough for her, but she seems content just being there. 


I was trying to get to know one of the more "difficult" students, and she told me when her birthday was, and said she wanted a present. This conversation happened on August 16th, the day before my birthday. I told her that, and the next day she gave me this pencil, and told me it was a birthday gift. I think it was the only gift I received this year. It's a great one. 

She grabbed my hand as I walked by her table, and handed me this penny, saying I should "put it towards paying for my education." Best joke I've heard in a long time. 

 Her eyes lit up as I entered the room, and she waved me over enthusiastically. "Miss C! Miss C! Come sit at my table!" I sat down next to her, and we chatted as the teacher took attendance and dealt with logistics. After the lesson began, I tried modeling good classroom behavior, taking notes and listening as the teacher taught. She had already done the annotating the teacher was trying to get them to do though, so she bored, and noticed there was a zipped pocket on my sleeve. So she started playing with it, zipping up and down. And then ripped off these sheets of paper, scribbled these notes (they say "your awesome" and "have a nice day") and put them in there.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

One hand in my pocket*

Usually, when someone is sad, we ask them what's wrong. It's natural, I guess, when we assume the default is happiness, to wonder what's got people feeling down. But as interesting as that is, personally I find it much more interesting to explore the reasons behind my good moods. Not necessarily because my default is sad, but because if I can figure out what makes me happy, I can know where to focus my energy. Today is a puzzle to me though. I've been smiling all day. I'm not high or anything like that. I feel grounded, at peace, content, and happy. And I have no idea why. My math class this morning was difficult to understand, but instead of becoming frustrated, I appreciated the challenge, and the opportunity to learn.  My social psychology class had a guest lecturer who talked about the Milgram experiments on obedience. Not exactly uplifting stuff. And the lecture was kind of dry. Still, I enjoyed every moment. It's so interesting. What makes some peopl

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m