Skip to main content

Moving forward

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations

My last blog post received a lot more attention than I expected. Some of the reactions have been positive and supportive, others not so much. I really appreciate my fellow corps members and the upper management people who have reached out to me in the past week. Some of them have thanked me for writing and voicing what a lot of them have been feeling. That validation and acceptance meant a lot to me, more than they probably realize. I also really value the people who have approached me to try to change my mind or to question the assumptions and claims I made. I always want to learn and grow as a person, and getting that feedback has helped me continue to question and explore the impact of what I'm doing. I still disagree with many of City Year's practices, but I'm trying to learn more in order to build a well-informed critique, and offer alternatives. A number of people have encouraged me to try to create the changes that I think would be beneficial for the students. I seriously doubt I will be able to change anything, but I definitely won't be able to if I don't try. So I'll read up more on what we do and why, and research better options, and try to meet with the decision makers to propose changes. If it fails, at least I'll have tried. 

There's another point I'd like to focus on that has gotten lost in most of the discussions I've been having. In addition to (what I like to think of as) my rational reasons for opposing City Year culture, I have an emotional reaction to what we do. My emotional reaction isn't "rational" in the sense that I can defend it with reason and logic, but it's just as real and just as important. When I am forced to participate in the cult stuff (chanting, circle stuff, huddles, "unity" rallies, opening day ceremony, etc.) I feel bad. Really bad. The cult things make me feel isolated. They make me feel different. I feel like I don't belong. I feel like I never have belonged, anywhere. I feel like I never will belong. I feel like there is something fundamentally different about me, that is preventing me from participating in and enjoying the same things as my peers. I feel like I'm not welcome in society, and maybe I should leave. Humans are social creatures, and if I don't fit into society, well, maybe I shouldn't exist. 

I don't like feeling this way. It's not rational, I know that a lot of what I feel isn't true, but it still feels that way. I've told my manager all of this, and that because my emotional well-being matters to me, I won't be attending the opening day ceremony on Tuesday. He said he'd talk to the higher ups, because it was too late to ask for time off. Later I was told that I can't get the time off, so if I don't show, I'm going to get written up. If I were physically sick on Tuesday, this wouldn't be an issue. But I know ahead of time that being there will make me mentally "sick" and I tried to convey that to the people in charge, and they didn't care. 

It is what it is. I'm not going to go. Instead, I'll be attending an orientation for volunteers for the Habitat for Humanity so I can help build houses on the weekends, and then going to clean up a park through the Urban Ecology Center. I'm not trying to get out of it so I can get an afternoon off. I sought out alternative volunteer options because I want to contribute to my community. Because being actively engaged in a cause greater than oneself is part of what it means to live a meaningful life, and it's what makes me feel like I do belong. 

It isn't fun for me to feel the way I feel. I'm not trying to be special or get attention. I'm trying to avoid the feeling of wanting to kill myself. And to anyone out there who might be panicking at the mention of killing myself, no, I'm not suicidal. I'm not suicidal because I know how to take care of myself. I know which situations to avoid so I can continue to be healthy and strong, physically and emotionally. 

I'll get written up. I don't disagree with the consequence. I accept that what I am doing is against the rules and expectations of City Year. As an organization that values equity (as opposed to equality), I kind of expected that there would be more of a focus on individual needs rather than on a "one size fits all" approach. But then again, I've been criticizing them openly on the internet, so I can't really expect them to treat me fairly. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expected value

The opinions expressed are not representative of City Year or AmeriCorps as organizations I saw J sitting alone in the cafeteria, silently looking softly at the room with a gaze that was neither engaged nor disengaged. He sat. I approached him, introduced myself, and asked for his name. He looked up and smiled at me. A genuine smile. They had warned us about the students that will be challenging, but hadn't really prepared us for this. Smiles. He told me his name, and then asked what he was supposed to be doing. As if I knew. The carefully planned schedule for the day had fallen apart roughly 20 minutes in, and as far as I could tell, the adults in the school were as confused as the students about who was supposed to be where and what they were meant to be doing. He'd already gotten his student ID and had been in the auditorium learn about the administrations and logistics, so the only other activity he had to complete was a school tour, which I found out would be starting 30

One hand in my pocket*

Usually, when someone is sad, we ask them what's wrong. It's natural, I guess, when we assume the default is happiness, to wonder what's got people feeling down. But as interesting as that is, personally I find it much more interesting to explore the reasons behind my good moods. Not necessarily because my default is sad, but because if I can figure out what makes me happy, I can know where to focus my energy. Today is a puzzle to me though. I've been smiling all day. I'm not high or anything like that. I feel grounded, at peace, content, and happy. And I have no idea why. My math class this morning was difficult to understand, but instead of becoming frustrated, I appreciated the challenge, and the opportunity to learn.  My social psychology class had a guest lecturer who talked about the Milgram experiments on obedience. Not exactly uplifting stuff. And the lecture was kind of dry. Still, I enjoyed every moment. It's so interesting. What makes some peopl

Israel's Independence Day

Yesterday I was told by one of my sister's Facebook friends that it's too bad I didn't die in Auschwitz. He commented this in response to my comment on her post about getting rocks thrown at her by Arab children on her way to school. I sympathized with her, and also offered the perspective of the children, who live in oppression and are often mistreated and discriminated against by various Israeli organizations and institutions. These children grow up experiencing Israel as the enemy, so it's understandable that they will want to do anything in their power to fight against Israel and Israelis. I find myself getting into heated arguments with my friends and family in Israel about Israeli practices toward Palestinians. They see me as a traitor, as someone who wants Israel to be destroyed, and as someone who values the lives of the enemy (Palestinians/Arabs) more than the lives of Jews. I also often get into arguments with Americans, who believe I support the "m